Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Brrraaaiiinnnzzz!


It is a little known fact that I love zombies. I know, I know, the whole craze has worn thin for most of you. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that and am actually waiting for my enjoyment of it to diminish. As of right now, it hasn't. Not one, single bit. I just made that realization once again with the first episode of AMC's The Walking Dead, Season 2. The survivors have moved on, beginning their 125 mile trek to Fort Benning. As they stop to repair their RV, things go south when a herd of the animated meatbags pass through. Don't fret, I'm not going to carry the story any further, just in case you haven't seen it yet. The point is that this episode relied on just one thing: Tension. I don't care how many zombies we experience across any of the various types of media, be it on film, in video game form, or on paper with our graphic novels and books, these shuffling brainless creatures never cease to bring the scares to me. I don't know if it's their singular desire for consumption of human flesh, hearkening to our more primal nature, or if it's the fact that there is no means of controlling them. Whatever it is, I still enjoy having them as the primary antagonist. And since I'm here, AMC gets a big high five. I adored the comics, and I'm loving this just as much. In fact, they have done this so well that I've already begun to consider what else we could see make the transition over to the cable networks. Could The Sandman or Fables make the jump? Is it possible to get an expanded mini-series out of what is arguably Neil Gaiman's best work? Could AMC nab the television options for Fables from ABC (I think they still have it, if I remember right) and give us a proper anthology series? Once can only hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment